Friday, May 29, 2009

Palm Pre - Back to the Future

Palm OS - R.I.P. (Or... Reincarnation In Progress?)

As a Palm software developer, I've been greatly distressed by the demise of Palm OS. This is the trusted and reliable platform that made so many hand held devices do such marvelous things for nearly a decade.

Well, my friends, there is hope. I have just been informed that OnTimeRx software has been Certified for Compatibility by MotionApps and it will be able to run on the new Palm Pre (a webOS smartphone - launch date- June 6, 2009).

From the FAQ on MotionApps site:

Q: How can I install Palm OS app in Classic (on Pre)?

A: The installation of Palm OS apps is as straight forward as this:
  1. Connect your Pre device with your PC using USB cable
  2. Mount Pre device as USB drive
  3. Navigate to ClassicApps folder
  4. Copy .prc/.pdb file in the folder
  5. Unmount Pre and start Classic
  6. The application will be installed and ready for running
That sounds simple enough and is very good news indeed!!!

I am one of those passionate Palm-users who has bought and used many helpful and entertaining software programs over the years; and now it looks like I'll be able to continue to use them on this new operating system. I sure hope this Classic application/Palm OS emulator lives up to the hype, because it will really be one step backward and many, many steps forward into the future of hand help computing.

Way to go, Palm and MotionApps!

No comments:

Post a Comment