Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Read the BOLD Print

The Orlando Sentinel has a "Ticked Off" feature that lets readers gripe about anything that... has them ticked off. And they also include some good news items on the other side for balance. Both points of view make for some quick and interesting reading.

Older Americans are always advised to "read the fine print" before signing anything. Easier said than done! One reader recently wrote in to publicly send a "Thank You" to a pharmacy for printing her prescription labels in a large font. She said she could actually read the directions for a change.

That was an interesting and scary twist, because she's right - it's nearly impossible to read most Rx labels these days. However, it's especially important to be able to read prescription labels, to avoid problems like taking the wrong drug at the wrong time or in the wrong dose.

I have "low vision", also commonly known as ARMD (age-related macular degeneration); and I've never been offered such a service or even knew it was available. Since I consider myself to be "up on all the latest technology", and I hadn't thought to ask for help, you have to wonder if many other patients ever think to request a larger font? Even more disturbing is the thought that pharmacies have this capability but don't routinely offer the service or option to older patients.

This font-size issue brings to mind several other challenges we all face as we age. Phone books have gotten so large in many cities that they are nearly impossible to lift and even harder to read. After 40, most people can't see as well as they used to, and my ophthalmologist assured me that it's not just my vision that is to blame. The phone books really are printed in smaller fonts.

There's always 411-information, but that "comes at a price" and it's hard to justify any extra expenses when a person who must count every penny still comes up short at the end of the month.

It's fairly easy to Google something to find phone numbers online, but not all seniors have access to a computer. For those who do, there's an exciting, ispiring online social network called "GrowingBolder.com".

I'm a GB member and I'd like to say Thanks to the lady for the "GrowingBOLDer" Rx labels idea. I'm phoning my pharmacy right now to make a BOLD move of my own... ! I hope her comment and this blog will inspire others to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment