Friday, August 28, 2009

It Still Works - Why Change?

As we get older, certain changes are inevitable; but if you're like a lot of people, change doesn't come easily.

How many people do you know who "proudly or defiantly" announce that they:
1. don't use a computer! -(How sad. They are missing out on sooo much!)
2. never learned how to set up a VCR or TV remote -(OK, Hubby controls the controls.)
3. haven't changed their hairstyle in over 20 years -(my hair does it's own thing!)
4. haven't moved or bought any new furniture in 10 years -(make that 30+ years!)
5. are still driving the same car that they got back in the '80s -(why not? ... if it still runs.)
6. still watch TV reruns from the '80s -(it IS like visiting with "old friends".)

There's really nothing wrong with resisting some change, I guess - but I'm always impressed with people who are at least willing to try new things. It is pretty amazing how many older people are actually using Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, GrowingBolder and other social networking sites. But even those who are not afraid of new technology, may not want to leave their "comfort zone"! As a self-proclaimed "Techno-Geezer", I love new gadgets up to a point, but even I have my limits.

I was really happy with my Treo 650 smart phone, until the folks at Sprint stopped supporting it, and I was more or less forced to switch phones AND carriers!

Wish I could have asked my doctor " which phone is right for me... ?"

Why must we have so many different models to choose from? Why do they all have an overwhelming number of bells and whistles I'll never use? Why are new ones being launched every millisecond - or so it seems? If the old phone still works, why change it?

In a recent piece on networkworld.com, Carolyn Duffy Marsan listed 12 terms that should never be used in the workplace. This inspired over 300 comments, and I agree with Toni Bowers that they can be used in the right situation, as long as it doesn’t mean your learning stopped with these terms:
  1. Intranet
  2. Extranet
  3. Web surfing
  4. Push technology
  5. Application Service Provider (ASP)
  6. Personal Digital Assistant (PDA)
  7. Internet Telephony
  8. Weblog
  9. Thin Client
  10. Regional Bell Operating Companies (RBOCs)
  11. Long-Distance Call
  12. World Wide Web

Hmm... "If it ain't broke..." I still use my trusty Palm PDA along with my BlackBerry, which uses "push technology". I make VOIP calls and surf the Web daily, and I run a web-based ASP business. Obviously I like to "Weblog"... so it looks like I'm still very comfortable with this list of terms. What's wrong with that?

... I'm still willing to learn about new things. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment