Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Portable Health Records in a FLASH

...One never knows when an accident may occur and a few seconds could save your life. Would you be ready and able to answer questions about your medical history in an emergency? (That's a hard question to answer right there! You may be dazed - in shock - or worse!) I have trouble filling in all the blanks on a new patient form when I go to a new doctor - and there's no emergency medical team pressing me for answers!

It really pays to plan ahead and be prepared - just in case. Having your personal health record (PHR) with you is very much like buying insurance. You don't wait until you wreck the car to purchase a policy. You can't afford to wait in this case either. It just makes sense to spend a little money and a little time NOW for a whole lot of peace of mind later. Then you can rest easier, knowing you really do have everything "covered".

As a card-carrying" Organ Donor, I certainly intend for my wishes to be known and respected if the worst happened. I have made arrangements with my family and my primary physician, but those people may not be with me at "crunch time". So I now carry a MedFlash Personal Health Record on a flash drive.

Every EMT uses a laptop these days, and it's a simple thing to pop my MedFlash device into any USB drive and read all about my medical condition, such as: the medications I'm taking, my I.C.E. contact(who to call In Case of Emergency), my doctors' phone numbers, etc. Very simple - very easy.

It's also critically important to keep your information up to date. You can easily schedule an OnTimeRx phone or email reminder to tell yourself to access your online MedFlash account and review and update the information monthly.

Accidents happen in a flash! I strongly urge everyone to "Be Prepared"!

1 comment:

  1. I have fully read your post, it is very interesting. Thanks for sharing it.
    Professional Credential Services

    ReplyDelete